Intuit is implementing an update to address a security vulnerability in QuickBooks desktop software. This does not affect the Mac desktop version or QuickBooks Online.
If you have the “credit card protection” feature on, or have credit card data in your QuickBooks company file, you will be asked to set up a password, if you do not already have one.
Please follow the steps below as soon as possible:
- Open QuickBooks desktop, click Help > Update QuickBooks. In the Overview tab, click Update Now.
- In the Update Now tab, make sure you have a check mark next to Maintenance Releases and Critical Fixes. Click Get Updates to start the download. When the download is complete, please restart QuickBooks desktop to complete the installation.
To turn on the automatic updates feature in QuickBooks desktop so that you automatically receive any future updates when they are released, choose Help > Update QuickBooks. On the Options tab, select Yes for Automatic Update.
More information on updating QuickBooks desktop by this method as well as alternative methods is available here.
NOTE: You should discuss the pros and cons of turning on the automatic update feature with your IT Professional or give us a call to discuss; there are reasons why turning this on may not be the right solution for you.
The security update includes:
- Password controls to verify that the person attempting to access the account is authorized.
- All users who have the “credit card protection” feature on, or have credit card data in their QuickBooks desktop company file, will be asked to set up a password.
- The administrator account holder will be notified if users have not set up a password. This will give the administrator account holder the ability to recommend that users create a password, or to assign a password directly to those users. This will increase security by requiring that all users with access to the system use appropriate security credentials.
- Customers using QuickBooks desktop in multi-user mode will need to ensure that all users are on a supported version of QuickBooks desktop and have installed the security update. This is VERY important so please have everyone press F2 when inside of QuickBooks to verify their release number. For instance this screenshot shows the file is version 2015 on Release R9P.
- What is Share a Refund?
- New Webinar: Marketplace Reporting for Amazon
- QuickBooks 2017 R5 Problems
- IRS Changes in W-2 & 1099 Filing Deadlines in 2017
- QuickBooks Desktop Update
- Microsoft Update Causes Problems for Stone Edge Users
- CommCon 2016 Update – New Owner of Stone Edge is Coming!
- Communiqué & Stone Edge User Conference 2016
- UPDATE: Critical QuickBooks Security Update
- Beware of Spam: Critical QuickBooks Security Update
- QuickBooks® Payroll Add-Ons
- Other QuickBooks® Add-Ons
- Other eCommerce Solutions
- About Professional Business Solutions 4 U, LLC
- StoneEdge, Communiqué , and Amazon FBA – The How to Webinar
- QuickBooks® and eCommerce Integration Consulting, Support & Training Services
- QuickBooks® and eCommerce Consulting
- QuickBooks & eCommerce Blog
- How To Contact Professional Business Solutions 4 U, LLC